Onions can make you cry when cutting them, spice up a dish when adding them and be useful around your apartment when using them – ONIONS… Not just for the kitchen anymore! Here are five awesome things you can do with a store bought onion.
- Eliminate new paint smell. You love the fab new paint color on your apartment walls but not the scent that comes with it! When new paint odor gets too hard to bear cut open several, fresh onions and place them in a bowl filled with a little bit of water. In a couple of hours the paint smell will disappear.
- Rust be gone. Are your cutting knives looking rusty?! Forget about cleaning chemicals and remove the rust all-naturel. Grab an onion and stab your rusty knives into it a couple of times (a really rusty one may require a bit more stabbing), making sure the rust on the knife touches the onion. Hey this may even help you relieve some stress – two birds with one stone.
- Relieve a bee sting. When you get into a battle with a bee and the bee wins, grab a cut onion and place it over your sting to relieve the throbbing pain. Please remember that if you are allergic to bees seek medical attention.
- Correct your pets ‘mistakes’. We all love our furry little friends but sometimes they can wreak havoc around your apartment – chewing, tearing or soiling. If you live in a pet-friendly apartment at a Shea Apartment Community and want to nip your little fur balls mischievous ways in the butt, leave several onions where they like to cause trouble. They do not care for the beautiful scent of an onion and will not return to the scene of their crime.
- Repel bugs. If your flowers and/or garden are getting attacked by bugs and animals, whip-up a batch of environmentally-friendly insecticide to keep them away. In a blender, puree 4 onions, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper, and 1 quart water. Set the mixture aside. Now dilute 2 tablespoons soap flakes in 2 gallons water. Pour all the contents of in a blender, shake and start spraying.
Do you have any other uses for an onion?